skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Truth About Your Eggs....
I have been enjoying my hens and baby chicks these past few weeks, and I started to wonder why I hadn't done this all my life. Unfortunately, the sad truth is, I wasn't educated on the egg production process, or really the food production, in this country until very recently. I want to take a moment and let you all in on the secret world of mass egg production in the United States. Like I said I haven't always lived like this. I too would shop at the grocery store trying to read labels, even though I didn't understand the majority of what is on the labels, but I tried to be a savvy consumer. When buying eggs I would look for labels like "organic", "vegetarian fed", "free range" and "cage free", but with most things in this society labels are meaningless marketing tools. The majority of eggs are produced in mass production poultry houses much like this one...
These birds spend their lives in confined spaces, standing in their own waste with zero exercise. They become aggressive and fight with each other for space. To prevent cannibalism, their beaks are often cut off. These birds are very stressed and diseased. Antibiotics are used to prevent the chickens from succumbing to these diseases. Their quarters are not cleaned until the birds are removed from the poultry house. They usually live under these conditions for two years and then are sold at auctions for butchering. For the most part, they will never see the light of day or feel a breeze blow through their feathers, until they are shoved into a tractor trailer and sent to the rendering plant. But, you say..."well I buy free range and cage free birds." Well sadly these situations are only a tad better circumstances.
These hens are considered free range. And what that means is they are shoved into a HUGE storehouse and are allotted on average 1-2 square feet of space per bird. These hens are also forced to stand in their own waste, and barely have room to lie down or turn around. There are doors at the end of the building that allow the hens to have access to a small run, but the majority don't even know its exists because they are unable to see it. Only a lucky few who stand next to the door have access to it. These birds are also under a ton of stress and given multiple antibiotics to prevent rampant diseases.
When this was looked into by the FDA and Department of Agriculture they found that the main reason we were having so many salmonella outbreaks, is because rodents have access to these poultry houses. The rodents are bringing in disease, and the birds need to be protected from them. So whats their solution, close up the outside doors and seal off the majority of the fresh air supply. That way the rodents cant get in right? When I read this report I couldn't help but giggle. Yes that may be a contributing factor, but it is not a solution. You need to know, my hen house has access to rodents as well. Birds frequent the coop, field mice can make there way in, but my birds are healthy and have zero diseases. I believe the main issue that should be looked into are the living conditions these hens are having to live with. With that little space, and hens getting agitated and pecking, on top of the unsanitary conditions, of course there is going to be disease. I clean out my coop once a week and place fresh shavings at the bottom of their roost and nesting boxes. I clean out their water and food containers regularly to ensure no bacterial growth. My hens have ample space to roam and scratch at the ground.
What about labels that claim organic and vegetarian fed? Well that just means that their hens were fed organic food and have no antibiotics in their system. It says nothing about their living conditions. What can you do to get good eggs? Make a statement with your checkbook, find a local farmer and ask if you can purchase eggs from them. Even if they arent fed organic feed their hens are sure to be healthier. Shop at your local farmers markets. Make sure you ask if they are farm fresh and not commercially grown. We live in a time when people market unfairly and most times untruthfully, so ask questions. If possible get a few hens for your own backyard. You would be surprised at how little cost and time go into chickens. We have 5 laying hens right now, and get 4 eggs a day, not bad. The difference in the eggs are HUGE. The shells from farm fresh eggs are thicker and more solid. The yolks are brighter and more vibrant. The taste is actual egg, not some watered down version. Plus, farm fresh eggs are fresher and healthier. Yes eggs can last a long time if stored properly, but the eggs you are buying at the store are sometimes months old. Plus, farm fresh eggs are more nutritious. Hens that have access to insects and scratch lay eggs that are higher in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Give it a try and let me know what you think. Todd and I have enjoyed our hens so much. They not only provide us with nutritious fresh eggs, but also hours of comic relief. They are so fun to have. With everything going on in the world we need to start educating ourselves. Its time for the American people to learn for ourselves and to expect higher quality things. Whether it be eggs, food, education, or politics. Its time to take a stand and demand higher quality. Its insane to me that we live where we do and yet so many of us are still in the dark. Good luck in your journey...
1 comment:
Eeek! Can we just buy eggs from you?! :)
Post a Comment