Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Goals

The last couple of times I have set goals and tried to accomplish them it hasn't really worked out for me, but this time it will hopefully be different. With Satan working over time on us these days, I have found that it is requiring more from us to stand against him. And while having the spirit with me is important, I also need to be smarter than he is. I need to have book smart on my side too. He is super crafty and hides in places I never imagined. I was reading a talk yesterday, "The Great Imitator" by James E Faust, and he was saying Satan can use the scriptures to entice and persuade.

Enter my new goal..

Every month I am going to take one gospel topic and study everything I can find on that topic. Hopefully this will help me have more knowledge to give, but also help me when Satan tries to get in. I need to know more and have the scriptures and brethren behind me, and be able to use against him.

So the topic for the remainder of this month and next month- The Creation and Plan of Salvation. I will keep you posted on anything super interesting and fun I run across.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Good for you Brittany! I LOVE you!

A similar stroke of genius seems to have hit multiple members of the family all at the same time! Hmmmmm.....coincidence, I think not!

I've decided to do my scripture study this way as well. For the month of June, I've been studying "God's Love"....feeling it, applying it, transferring it to others. I've learned so much and have felt my Heavenly Father's love at the same time.

Dad has decided to study by topic too. He's currently reading a book by Joseph Fielding Smith that covers a huge number of gospel topics, and then he studies them beyond that.

Jeff told us in this weeks letter that in his personal study, he took Dad's suggestion and decided to study by topic as well!

I say great minds think alike! Also, it's hard to go wrong when you search the scriptures and learn or refresh you understanding of the doctrines and principles of the gospel. You learn, feel the Spirit, and can apply those things daily! What a gift!!