Thursday, December 2, 2010

Kind reminder...

5321, those were the numbers I have come to memorize as I pull into their trailer community each and every Wednesday night. I drive through and pull up to the cute trailer and sit and wait. I cant go in because Kylyn gets embarrassed that she sleeps on the front room floor, so I sit and wait. I have gotten to know the mother from teaching her in Gospel Essentials, and now that I am back in Young Woman (YAY!!) I am getting to know her daughter too. I love these two women and I am grateful for their example. Here is why...

I pulled up to their house and they had Christmas lights on their front porch. This was new from last week, so I got excited to talk to them about their Christmas traditions on the ride over to the church. As they snuggled into the warm car, I complimented their lights and asked when they had put them up. They had done it that morning. Kylyn was beaming!! She went on to explain that this was their first Christmas season in a home. Ramona (Kylyn's Mom) had been a truck driver and they typically were on the road. Since the accident, they had settled into their very first home this year. Romona is now not able to work, and due to a heart complication from the accident she can never be left alone. So sweet Kylyn volunteered to stay home from school and watch her Mom everyday. She is one of the smartest and most tender girls I have ever met. I asked if they had put up a tree yet, you know this being their first Christmas in a home. Just as I said it Romona started shaking her head, I could tell instantly I had said something I shouldn't have. Kylyn looked down and got teary eyed. Romona explained that she didn't have the funds to buy a tree. They were grateful to their neighbors for giving them their leftover lights this year.

Kylyn through her damp eyes said "I love this time of year. Everyone is so nice, so kind, and they are much more receptive to hearing the gospel from me this time of year." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She went on to explain that she goes through her community each and everyday this time of year to preach the gospel to her neighbors. She may not have a tree, but she has the true meaning of Christmas. I was in tears and I couldn't say anything. Kylyn said "Mom, I have never had a tree before, maybe we could get one just this year?" Romona now teary eyed said "Sorry Kylyn but its not in our cards this year. Lets appreciate and enjoy our lights."

I dropped them off at the church and pretended I had an errand to run before mutual started. I couldn't believe the lesson I had just learned from this precious 12 year old girl and her newly converted mother. I have always had a tree, haven't you? I have always had lights, haven't you? I have always had decorations and a BIG Christmas dinner, haven't you? I have never gone door to door to preach the gospel to my neighbors, have you?

This darling ritual of picking these ladies up for Wednesday night activities has changed me. We always hear and are taught the true meaning of Christmas, but it wasn't until last night that I really got it. Thank you Ryder family!


*Names and numbers have been changed for privacy purposes**

4 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow....I'm humbled by the example of this sweet family. Lesson learned.

Tasha Allen said...

Wow! What a great example is that sweet girl! BTW, how are you two?? We think of you often! Looks like you are enjoying a country life. What a fun adventure!

Brock Cottle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brock Cottle said...

As I read this story I had a wonderful feeling come over me which I do not think I have ever felt before. I am so glad both of you are in my life and hope you guys are doing good in your life together.