Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Watching the storm roll in...

Over the past few days sweet Nashville has had some pretty rocky storms. Up where we live now we rarely see anything, but yesterdays storms were a bit different. I was watching the news, and it was saying that in 5 minutes the storms would be right over my house. On the radar, they pulled up street names and BAM there was my street. They we weren't reporting any tornado sightings at this point, but funnel clouds and circulations were for sure there. Now where my house is, we are pretty well protected from any tornadoes,(were are up on a hill and our house is near the trees, so my pastures might be hit, but not the house). Within a few minutes the rain stops, the clouds roll in, and it turns pitch black at 1 in the afternoon. Todd is OF COURSE traveling, so I call him up and head out to the front porch. I watch as these funnel clouds come rolling and, and lo and behold I see rotations....

Here is the funnel cloud making its presence...


As it blows along, at 65 miles per hour, it is for sure rotating...


When it all of a sudden drops down. I couldn't see, because of my gorgeous yellow trees, if it touched the ground. However, I saw plainly that it dropped pretty far down...

It was a pretty exciting day. The dogs, cat, and chickens were pretty huffy about it. Its strange though, there can be terrible storms and nasty winds all around, but when the actual tornado comes rolling in, it almost stops. It clams down, and then it goes dark. Very creepy and very unnerving. I am grateful now more than ever, that we bought a home in the trees and up on a hill. It makes for great weather watching!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

that is very cool!!!! we have been under a tornado watch but i dont think there have been any. love the pics though. im glad you guys got a house like that too... then everyone else would miss the awesome pics :D miss you and hope you guys are doing well.